Why choose Direct Line?
Here's how we compare
|Admin fee for adjustments made online*||£0||£0||£8.96||£19.50|
|Items ready to send two hours after approving your claim**|
|Choice of cash or replacements***|
|Severe leak response time communicated
Plan agreed and into action within 24 hours ****
Sourced from insurers policy booklets, mystery shopping and websites. * Data correct as of April 2017 | ** Data correct as of June 2017 | *** Data correct as of June 2017 | **** Competitor information sourced by information collected by calling the insurer (mystery shopping), insurer websites and competitor policy booklets as of January 2018.
Frequently asked questions
This comes as standard with our Direct Line Home Plus insurance. It can also be added on as an optional extra with our Home Insurance at an additional cost. Emergency plumber cover is part of our Home Emergency add on.
We will provide cover for your contents whilst in storage, but only when using a professional storage facility, for up to 72hrs. Your contents would also be covered against accidental loss or damage whilst you are in the process of moving.
Dependent on your individual claim circumstances and the cover in force, we can (if safe to do so):
- Carry out a risk assessment to identify potential hazards, including asbestos cases for onward appointment of relevant experts
- Test/make safe electrics or carry out temporary installation work
- Remove standing water/items damaged beyond repair, including sodden carpets, floor coverings and wallpaper
- Clean/sanitise areas, including application of an antimicrobial / biocide to tackle potential issues with mould and bacteria
- Take moisture readings - to confirm which areas are wet and require drying
- Install dehumidifiers/fans/air movers to start the drying process
- Capture damage on camera
Yes, there is a £450 Escape of Water excess that will apply to all claims
In some cases after an insured event, your home may be uninhabitable and accommodation arrangements will be made.