Nobody wants to face a disaster in the home. But emergencies happen, and when they do it's good to know you're covered. With Direct Line Home Emergency cover, we'll make sure you get the help you need.

If you already have Home Emergency cover and need help, call us now on 0345 878 5081 .

If you already have Home Insurance and are looking to add Home Emergency cover, give us a call on 0345 246 8372 .

If you're a tenant with Home Emergency cover included as part of your Home Insurance Plus policy, you'll need to ensure you have your landlord's permission to use Home Emergency cover.

Home Emergency cover is designed to protect you in the case of any emergencies you may have in your home. If you have this cover, you can give us a call and we'll tell you what to do to protect yourself and your home. We'll aim to send an authorised repairer to resolve the emergency within four hours (or within 24 hours for heating and pest emergencies), and we'll cover up to £500, including callout fees, labour and any parts required.

Once your emergency has been resolved through Home Emergency cover, you may need to contact our Home Claims team to discuss any damage to your home.

You'll also be covered if your home is no longer fit to be lived in due to an emergency. We'll arrange accommodation for you and your cats or dogs, plus any transport needed, up to £250.

Home Emergency cover will cover any incident in the home that:

  • Makes it unsafe or unsecure for occupants
  • Results in a loss of heating, lighting or water

For example, if your boiler has stopped working, you've got an uncontrollable leak or the lock on your front door is broken, that's an emergency. However, a blown fuse on the electric board for your shower or a dripping tap wouldn't class as an emergency under this cover.

Our authorised emergency assistance will always work to secure the property from any further damage. This means, for example, that our repairers may turn off the water supply to stop a leak, but won't fully repair the pipe.

We cover:

  • Emergency assistance for plumbing and drainage, pests, electrical supply or heating failure, up to £500
  • A plumber to your home within three hours for any uncontrollable leak
  • Up to £250 if your boiler is beyond economic repair
  • External door or window damage, or if they stop working unexpectedly
  • Damage to glass in windows or external doors, if it renders your home unsafe or unsecure
  • Emergency overnight accommodation for you and your cats or dogs, plus any transport required, up to £250
  • Emergencies that leave you without access to bathroom facilities in your home (if you have access to a second bathroom or toilet, this wouldn't qualify as an emergency)

We don't cover:

  • Roof damage or repairs
  • Loss or damage within the first 14 days of taking out Home Emergency cover
  • Cost of repairs to underground water supply, or more than your share of the cost if you share drains
  • Any loss or damage if your home has been unoccupied for more than 60 days
  • Oil-fired boilers or solid fuel boilers
  • Gas leaks, including from gas appliances. If you think you have a gas leak, you'll need to call your supplier to help resolve the problem
  • Removing asbestos
  • Fitting replacement locks or repairing alarm systems
  • Work completed by anyone who isn't an authorised repairer sent by Direct Line
  • Household appliances, such as dishwashers or washing machines
  • Loss or damage caused by fire, lightning, explosions, earthquakes, floods, storms, subsidence, heave, landslips, malicious damage, theft or attempted theft, structural repairs or alteration, or demolition

Other types of cover

Family Legal Protection

Get cover and support for different legal concerns you may face.

Accidental Damage

From wine spills to iron burns, if you've accidentally damaged something in your home, you're protected.

Need more help?

You can make changes to your policy online, claim online or ask our virtual assistant.

Contact Us Claims

If you’d rather talk to us, just give us a call (includes Typetalk and sign language services). We can help you choose the right kind of cover.

Call us