Legal matters can be confusing, costly and complicated. That's why our Family Legal Protection provides you with the comfort of knowing there's expert help at hand. Find out more about what's included and how our cover works. If you've already got Home Insurance Plus cover, Family Legal Protection is included as standard in your policy.
Looking for our 24/7 advice line number? Ring us on 0345 246 2853 .
If you already have Home Insurance and are looking to add Family Legal Protection, give us a call on 0345 246 8372 .
When you're struggling to get the outcome you need, having someone on your side can make all the difference. Direct Line Family Legal Protection offers up to £100,000 in legal costs with no excess, to help you pursue claims for a range of legal matters. This includes disputes with neighbours, your employment or over faulty products you've bought.
Legal costs cover things like solicitors fees and court costs. It also includes barrister and expert witness costs, and the opponent's costs if your case is unsuccessful and costs are awarded against you.
Access to legal experts through a 24/7 helpline, providing guidance and support whenever you need it.
If you've added Family Legal Protection to your Home Insurance policy, or you have Home Insurance Plus, your policy will cover you and any of your family living with you.
This includes your parents, partner, siblings and children. It also covers any students who are living at university or away from home during term time.
- Disputes over faulty goods or services you've purchased, such as disputes with online retailers or hiring tradesmen
- Employment claims, including unfair dismissal or discrimination
- Disputes involving neighbours or boundaries, noise nuisance or damage to fences
- Defending claims against you in relation to personal goods you've sold privately, such as selling your car
- Personal injury claims such as trips and slips in the street or workplace injuries
- Contract disputes when buying or selling your home, such as a dispute with a housebuilder
- Inheritance disputes over something left for you in a will
- Defending a claim against you about your work as an employee - this provides support for things like unlawful discrimination or criminal allegations
- Motoring prosecutions, such as speeding or careless driving
- Your salary during any jury service you were required to attend
We'll help with all of these legal claims as long as there's a more than 50% chance that your claim will succeed.
We don't cover:
- Matrimonial disputes, including divorce proceedings
- Disputes that were already underway before policy cover began
- Anything related to you operating a business
- Legal representation following alleged illegal activity or arrest, other than those covered above
- Motoring disputes such as parking offences, driving without a licence or insurance or while intoxicated
- Illness or injury that develops gradually or is not caused by a sudden or specific event
- Claims relating to mental health, unless this was caused by an accident that also causes bodily injury
- Claims relating to a failure to diagnose a medical condition
- Contracts entered into before your policy cover began