What is cycling third party insurance?

Third party insurance is also known as public liability insurance. Although cycling third party cover isn't a legal requirement in the UK, it's a good idea to protect yourself. If a pedestrian steps out in front of you, or you swerve to avoid a dog and scratch someone’s car, you could end up paying thousands in legal costs.

Cyclist public liability insurance will help pay your legal fees if someone makes a claim against you for injury or damage to property while you're out riding.

What is personal injury cover?

As an optional extra, you can add personal injury cover to your cycling insurance for just £15 a year. So if you're injured while out on your bike, you'll get help towards the cost of any medical expenses such as dental care, physiotherapy or optical care. If the worst happens and you die as a result of a cycling accident, we'll pay a cash sum to your loved ones.

Whether you cycle to work, take your bike abroad or hit the trails every weekend, get peace of mind in just a few clicks.

What are the most common claims made against cyclists?

Public liability claims against cyclists fall under the following areas:

  • Damage to cars
  • Injury to pedestrians
  • Damage to property such as houses
  • Injury to other cyclists

Please note, your cover is invalid if injury is caused while cycling in a peloton or other high-risk close-knit formation.

Accidents happen, so make sure you have the cover you need.

Get a quote
Back to top

Get cyclist 3rd party insurance for the price of a post-ride coffee

Direct Line Cyclist Cover provides personal cover for you, the cyclist. Whether you hit a pothole or another road-user, you can get complete cover for £2.50 a month.

The following cover comes as standard:

  • Up to £2,000,000 public liability cover for injury or damage caused by you.

Optional personal injury cover:

  • £20,000 cash sum in the event of your death while out cycling.
  • £20,000 for permanent disability or injury, including loss of sight in one or both eyes, loss of the use of a hand or foot or total disablement.
  • £1,000 towards private (non-NHS) emergency medical care, dental care, optical care or physiotherapy.
Get a quote

Need to insure your bike, too?

By adding Bicycle Cover to your cycling insurance policy, we can cover you for:

  • Theft or accidental damage of your bike
  • Theft or damage to your cycling gear
  • Travel cover for cycling abroad
  • Racing and Events cover

Find out more about Bicycle Cover

Cycling insurance tips, FAQs and policy documents

Take a look at the Cycling Insurance policy documents:

Got a question?

The Cycling insurance team is here to help you.


0330 460 0277

Opening hours:

  • Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm
  • Sat Closed
  • Sun Closed

Please note, we're closed on bank holidays.

Frequently asked questions

Not at all. You may have bicycle insurance with another insurer and that’s fine, you can still buy Direct Line Cyclist Cover to cover public liability and personal accident or emergency medical treatments for injuries sustained in a cycling accident.
Your bike is only one part of a crash. Replacing or repairing the damage to your bike (even an expensive one) may not be the costliest part of an incident. If you are injured while you’re out on your bike, you may end up with medical bills for treatment, dental work, optical care or physiotherapy. You may even have legal bills to take care of if you’re found legally liable for causing an accident. Having Cyclist Cover will help cover these costs.
Yes. By purchasing Cyclist Cover, you will be covered for personal injury worldwide, and for public liability worldwide (except USA and Canada).
Your bicycle will be covered for theft or damage while you’re away if you have chosen bicycle insurance and added Travel Cover to your policy.
To be eligible for Direct Line Cycling Insurance, you must be over 18 years of age and permanently reside in the UK. Insurance cover isn’t provided for:
  • Professional cyclists or sponsored riders – cyclists who ride bicycles as their primary occupation or source of income or receive a discount of greater than 50% of the recommended retail price of a bicycle.
  • Couriers and delivery drivers – anyone who uses their bicycle to carry out their work or hires out their bicycle for others to use. Please note, this does not include commuting to your place of work.
If the damage or injury sustained by the cyclist was the car driver’s fault, then yes, you can make an insurance claim. But, as with other road accidents, you will need to take the driver’s details as well as contact details of any witnesses. Use your mobile phone to take photos of the scene and the damage caused, to help support your claim.

Latest articles

Two people smiling as they ride their bikes together on a sunny day.

Why is cycling good for your mental health?

It's more important than ever to look after our mental health. Luckily, there are lots of ways to help keep yourself in a good headspace, and cycling is right up there among the best.

Middle-aged couple riding electric bikes in the park.

E-bikes: why they're taking over the UK cycling scene

Electric bikes, have seen a huge increase in sales over the past couple of years.But what exactly is an e-bike and why are they so popular?

Smiling woman on bike in the countryside.

7 reasons why cycling is the best post-lockdown exercise

After a year without the usual distractions of a daily commute and busy social lives, the pandemic gave many of us the chance to look inward, re-evaluate our lives, prioritise our health and set new goals.