Direct Line started with a single product – car insurance. And just one way for customers to buy – over the phone.
Since its launch in 1985, Direct Line’s aim has always been to put the customer first. This began with cutting out the middleman, the forms and the jargon — all revolutionary changes in insurance at the time.
It started selling car insurance from a single call centre in Croydon, with just 63 employees and one product. Speed, simplicity and a practical approach lead to 80,000 policies sold in its first year.
Providing insurance to millions of customers, we’re not just about car insurance anymore. Our customers can now buy their home, pet, travel, life, over 50s life, van, landlord, small business, breakdown, cycling, and SELECT Premier insurance online or over the phone.
Our products and services
Over 50s Life insurance
Small business insurance
Our journey so far...
- Two friends get the idea to use computers to underwrite insurance policies and use phones to sell them. Funding is secured from RBS and Direct Line is established. Cutting out the broker and transforming the insurance industry.
- 1985 - 1988
- Direct line sells 80,000 policies in its first year and broadens its services to include home insurance.
- 1989 - 1995
- Direct Line launches the iconic telephone on wheels. It opens a head office in Croydon, with regional offices in Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, and Leeds.
- 1996 - 1999
- Direct Line introduces further coverage options, offering policies for travel, pet, and breakdown insurance. The website for the brand goes live with the same domain today and achieves 100,000 sales online.
- 2000 - 2018
- Direct Line becomes the first insurance company to offer an online claims register and tracking service for motor insurance customers. And we are voted Britain's Most Trusted Insurance Provider by Reader's Digest.
Where we are now
We deal with hundreds of customer claims and vehicle repairs every day.
We also sponsored the Science Museum's exhibition Driverless: Who is in control?
What makes us different
Serving our customers
We want our customers to feel safe. Whether that’s at home, on holiday, or in the car. If your pooch, diamond ring or new sofa mean something to you, then they mean something to us.
We keep up to date on the issues that impact our customers from driverless cars to Insurance Premium Tax. The insurance industry is changing, and so are we.