What kind of cyclist are you?
Bicycle cover from Direct Line means you’ll only pay for what you need. So, if you regularly travel abroad with your bike or prefer to stay local; buy all the latest gear to tackle a gravel trail, or ride your e-bike to the shops, we’ve got you covered.
Commuters and casual riders
If you cycle to work or enjoy exploring the countryside on two wheels, our bicycle cover offers peace of mind against theft or damage to your bike.
Whether you ride with a club, tackle remote trails, go on cycling holidays or fancy your chances on the occasional sportive, we’re on it.
You compete for fun, tick international routes off your bucket list and buy the latest tech. If cycling is your passion, we've got you covered.
Why get specialist bicycle insurance?
Check your home insurance to see whether it covers you for:
- Accidental damage while you’re out cycling or taking part in a sportive
- Theft away from your home
- Malicious damage
- Taking your bike abroad
- Reimbursement for bike hire or taxi fare if your bike breaks down away from home
- Cycling accessories, including personal gear and additional wheelsets
What you need to know:
Once you’ve bought your policy, you’ll be asked to send proof of purchase along with photos of your bike. This helps the cycling insurance team to process any claims you make quickly and easily, meaning you’ll have one less thing to worry about.
Any bicycle theft claim you make is subject to certain security conditions, so make sure you follow the required security measures. Your claim may be rejected or not fully paid if you don't use the correct lock for the value of your bike and store it safely and securely.
Why choose Direct Line Bicycle Cover?
With Direct Line bicycle insurance, you’ll get the following cover as standard:
- Accidental or malicious damage
Your bike will either be repaired, or the damaged parts will be replaced.
- Theft (from your home or away)
As long as you've secured your bike with an approved lock, and followed the required security measures, your bike will be covered against theft.
- Theft from a roof rack or trailer
Provided it hasn’t been left unsecured or unattended (see approved locks for more information).
- Reimbursement for cycle hire and transport costs
If your bike's out of action, you'll need some wheels to get around on - especially if you're training for an event. That's why you'll get up to £500 to hire a suitable replacement, or to cover your transport costs while your bike is being repaired or replaced.
- Onward travel
If your bike's stolen or you've had an accident and can't cycle, you'll be reimbursed the cost of your taxi fare to get yourself and your bike home, to the nearest station or the nearest bike repair shop – whichever is closest.
- Roof rack and transit cover
Your bike is covered for any damage caused while you're transporting it securely.
- Multi-Bike Discount
If you've got another bike worth over £250 to insure, you can save 10% by adding it to your policy. It could be your partner's bike, or another member of your immediate family. As long as they live with you, you can insure all your family's bicycles.
- New for old replacement
If you need to claim for a total loss of your bike due to theft or irreparable damage, we’ll replace your bicycle at the full market value, if you bought it new. If your bicycle is second-hand or discontinued, we’ll reimburse you for its current market value, subject to depreciation.
- Your cycling kit
You’ll get up to £250 cover for your cycling kit, which includes accessories, clothing, helmets, GPS, additional wheelsets and your bike box. Please note, this cover is only valid as part of a larger claim for damage or theft of your bicycle. So, if your helmet is stolen from your bag, it’s not covered. If it’s damaged in an accident which also damaged your bike, it will be covered.
- Cycling gear worth over £250
If any of your cycling accessories are worth more than £250, just tell us how much they're worth when you get a quote, and we'll include the extra cover in your premium.
We cover a range of bikes, for every kind of adventure
From folding bikes to tandem bikes, and everything in between, we’ll cover all your cycling adventures at home and abroad – whether you’re commuting through the city streets or racing up the mountains.
Cover your e-bike against theft or accidental damage.
Cover against theft or damage so you can get back on the road as quickly as possible.
Get your MTB insured so you can enjoy peace of mind every time you jump on your bike.
Do you need any additional cover?
Cover for races and events
Get your bike covered for races or sportives, charity rides and off-road events by adding Race and Events Cover to your policy. It covers:
- Damage to your bike during a sportive or organised group event.
- Theft or damage to your bike during transitions (provided that your bicycle is stored in the demarcated transition area).
- Loss of race entry fees - if you can’t take part in a cycling event because you hurt yourself in a cycling accident on your insured bike, we’ll reimburse you up to £500.
- Please note, professional cyclists are not eligible for Direct Line Cycling Insurance.
Need cover for you as a cyclist?
It’s not just your wheels and your kit that matter, make sure you’re covered for accidents and injury to yourself, too. You'll get:
- Public liability cover
- Optional personal injury cover
- Optional emergency medical cover including dental care, optical care and physiotherapy
- Optional travel cover for cycling abroad
- Optional worldwide public liability cover (excluding USA and Canada)
- Optional Race and Events Cover
If you regularly take your bike abroad for events or cycling holidays, it's worth including Travel cover with your bicycle insurance policy.
For occasional trips, you can add this cover to your bicycle policy, too – just let us know and we’ll extend your bicycle and accessories cover worldwide for up to 90 days in any 12-month period.
Got more than one bike to insure? Save money by adding all your bikes to the same policy. They don’t all have to belong to you, either. As long as the bikes are owned by an immediate family member (your partner, child or parent) and they live at your home address, we’ll give you:
- 10% discount on the second bike
- 15% discount on the third bike
The most valuable bike will be counted as the first bike on your policy, so discounts will apply to each bike thereafter.
Need more help?
Frequently asked questions
- Leaving your bicycle in an unlocked vehicle
- Leaving your bicycle unattended in a location other than your home where it is not securely locked through the frame and any quick release wheels to an immovable object
- Leaving your bicycle unattended in a location other than your home for longer than 18 hours, even if secured. This is extended to 24 hours if left at a train station or your place of permanent employment
- Leaving your bicycle in the event secure zone at a triathlon or other sporting event for longer than 24 hours.
- Professional cyclists or sponsored riders – cyclists who may be remunerated to a value greater than £5,000 in a calendar year, or train and race as their main profession.
- Couriers and delivery drivers – anyone who uses their bicycle to carry out their work or hires out their bicycle for others to use. Please note, this does not include commuting to your place of work.
Whether it’s for a leisurely family ride by the seaside, or a sweaty Sunday sprint, getting bicycles from A to B often calls for more than just pedal power.
Even a basic bicycle for travelling between work and home can be expensive, so it's no surprise that bikes are a popular target for thieves.