If your passport is lost or stolen you will need to complete the LS01 form to obtain a new one.

So if you are travelling abroad, check your passport at least two months before your trip so you have enough time to replace it if you need to.

UK Passport Service safety advice

  • Make sure you keep a note of your passport number and a photocopy of the personal details page as this helps the UK Passport Service to issue you with a new one
  • Keep your passport separate from other important items both at home and when travelling
  • If your passport is lost/stolen within the UK call the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000 (lines are open 8.00am to 8.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am to 5.30pm weekends and public holidays) immediately to get an LS01 form, or visit the Identity & passport service website. Alternatively, forms can be obtained from police stations, selected Post Office ® branches and Worldchoice travel agents offering the Check & Send application service.

If your passport is lost/stolen overseas, report it to the local police and then contact the nearest British Consulate, Embassy or High Commission. They will be able to help you report the loss to the Identity & Passport Service and provide you with replacement travel documentation.

For further information visit the Identity & Passport Service website.

Related information:

Travel wise – how to avoid being a victim of crime abroad
Staying secure abroad – more tips for keeping your stuff safe while you’re on holiday

Go to travel insurance