- Almost half (48 per cent) of Brits have booked or plan to holiday in the UK in the next 12 months
- London tops the list of the UK's favourite holiday hotspots
- 58 per cent of those planning to 'staycate', have previously holidayed in the UK with no insurance cover
- One in eight Brits think travel insurance is only required for holidays abroad
New research1 from Direct Line Travel Insurance reveals that British holidaymakers are choosing to holiday closer to home, with more than 24 million2 Brits planning a 'staycation' in the next 12 months.
The desire to holiday in the UK is most popular amongst the younger generation, with 56 per cent of 18 – 34 year olds planning to 'staycate' compared to 45 per cent of those aged over 35.
According to the research, the capital is the UK's favourite holiday hotspot with one in five Brits (19 per cent) planning a London city break. Other popular 'staycation' destinations include Cornwall (13 per cent) and the Scottish Highlands (11 per cent).
Table one: The most popular holiday hotspots in the UK
|Isle of White||6%|
Source: Direct Line Travel Insurance 2016
The study reveals that walking is the most popular 'staycation' activity, for holidaymakers who are keen to experience the great outdoors. This is closely followed by beach games (18 per cent), cycling (15 per cent) and climbing (8 per cent), reflecting the wealth of outdoor activities on offer in the UK's favourite holiday hotspots.
Despite the revival of the 'staycation', it appears Brits are unaware they could benefit from travel insurance when holidaying in the UK. Over half (58 per cent) of those planning to 'staycate', have previously travelled in the UK with no insurance cover.
The research reveals one in eight Brits (13 per cent) are mistaken in thinking travel insurance is only required for holidays abroad. This misconception is worrying, as one in seven insured holidaymakers (14 per cent) had to make a claim while on a UK trip in the last 12 months.
Tom Bishop, head of travel insurance at Direct Line, commented: "'Staycation' breaks look set to boom, as British holidaymakers are keen to experience the wonders of the UK instead of jetting off aboard. With its array of fantastic beaches, adventure pursuits and city attractions, it's no surprise that people are looking to holiday closer to home, enjoying hotspots like London, Cornwall and the Scottish Highlands.
Given UK travellers' love of the great outdoors, it's important they have the right level of insurance cover in place, to ensure they are not left out of pocket if something happens during their trip, whether this be close to home, or further away.
Direct Line's most common claims3 from customers on holiday in the UK are; lost, stolen or damaged baggage, cancellation, curtailment (ending your trip early) and emergency travel expenses."
Notes to editors:
- Research was conducted by Opinium amongst a representative sample of 2,000 UK adults between 15th‐19th June 2016.
- 24 million figure based on 48 per cent of Brits planning to holiday in the UK. 48 per cent of 51,339,000 UK drivers = 24,822,407
- Direct Line internal data 1997-2016
- UK trip definition: A journey that begins and ends at your home during the period of insurance that is in pre‐booked commercially‐operated accommodation for two or more consecutive nights
- More information on UK travel insurance can be found at https://www.directline.com/lib/pdf/dl-travel-combined-policy-document.pdf
For further information, please contact:
Citigate Dewe Rogerson
Tel: 0207 282 2967
Direct Line Group
Tel: 01651 831 715
Started in 1985, Direct Line became the first UK insurance company to use the telephone as its main channel of communication. It provides motor, home, travel and pet insurance cover direct to customers by phone or on-line.
Direct Line general insurance policies are underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, Registered office: The Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds LS1 4AZ. Registered in England and Wales No 1179980. U K Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Direct Line and UK Insurance limited are both part of Direct Line Insurance Group plc.
Customers can find out more about Direct Line products or get a quote by calling 0345 878 5587 or visiting www.directline.com