Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Last updated: 31st March 2020

Following the Government’s announcement asking everyone to stay at home, we’re making some changes to the way we work to make sure we’re looking after our people and our customers. We’re setting up as many of our colleagues as possible to work from home, but this will take a few days.

In the short-term, we’re only accepting new business online. That means new customers can't buy insurance over the phone.

Existing customers: Please don’t phone unless it’s absolutely necessary.

We need to prioritise:

  • Customers who have an urgent claim, for example your car is undrivable following an accident, you are injured, or your home is uninhabitable.
  • Customers who can’t pay now as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, call us - we want to help you.

If you have questions about your renewal or want to make a change to your policy, you can use our virtual assistant. If your policy is due to renew in the next week and you haven’t opted for auto-renewal, please call us. If you have opted for auto-renewal, please make sure your insurance still meets your needs.

For more information and frequently asked questions about COVID-19, go to our Coronavirus help and support page.

Which contents insurance is right for you?

Standard Plus
Loss or damage to contents caused by fire, lightning, smoke, storm or flood Up to £50,000 Up to £100,000
Personal Possessions Optional Included
Accidental Damage Optional Included
Tenant's Liability £5,000 £10,000

Why do tenants need contents insurance?

It's easy to underestimate the value of your possessions. Laptops, smartphones and TVs are just some of the items that could cost you thousands of pounds to replace. With Direct Line contents insurance for renters, your possessions will be covered against loss or damage in your home.

Reasons to choose tenants contents insurance:

  • Personal Possessions
    We'll cover you for the loss or damage to items that can be taken out of the home. This includes things like leaving your phone in a taxi, losing a camera while on holiday or jewellery falling off.
  • Accidental Damage
    Spilled a latte on your laptop or dropped your phone on the kitchen floor? Your possessions will be insured against accidental damage while in your home.
  • Tenant's Liability
    It's not your property, but landlords will expect you to pay for any damage you cause. With Tenant's Liability we'll pay towards repairing damage to the landlord's property.
  • Cash or new replacements
    We'll replace your lost or damaged possessions on a new-for-old basis. All customers also have the option of taking a cash payment instead. Items must be stolen or damaged beyond repair and cash is limited to the cost of the replacement to Direct Line. Cover limits apply.
  • 2-hour replacement
    We’ll make sure replacement items are ready to send two hours after approving your claim. Available on all contents insurance polices for Theft claims up to the value of £3000. Jewellery excluded and cover limits apply. Claims lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am-8pm and Saturday from 9am-5pm.

What else is covered by contents insurance for renters?

  • Up to £1,000 to replace digital content that you've bought and stored on your home computer, mobile phone or other portable entertainment device that gets lost or damaged as standard. Cover increases to £3,000 with Home Insurance Plus.
  • Money in your home up to a value of £500 as standard. Cover increases to £1,000 with Home Insurance Plus.
  • If the keys to your home are lost or stolen, we'll pay to replace and fit new locks.

Download home insurance policy documents