Direct Line magazine

The Direct Line Magazine is experiencing a few technical gremlins which are stopping links within articles from opening on some web browsers. While we work to fix the problem, you can open links by right clicking them on desktops or long pressing on mobiles.

Travel after Brexit

Updated on: 16 February 2021

A paper plane covered in a Union Jack.

Although it's uncertain what the outcome of Brexit will be, Direct Line is monitoring what's happening and getting prepared to help you if you find your travel is disrupted.

There are some things you should consider ahead of travelling to Europe after Brexit.

Travel updates

Leave plenty of time to travel to airports, ports and international stations in case of queues and delays. The Foreign and Commonwealth office give updates by country, with up to date information on what’s happening at your travel destination, which you can check online at

Passport checks

You can find the latest government information here: You can also check your UK passport before any European travel to make sure it won’t expire while you’re away and that it complies with any new rules. This is something that you may need to do in the event that the UK leaves Europe without a deal and can be done on the government site:

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

An EHIC provides you with access to state medical care in the event that you need it when visiting EEA member countries. These will no longer be valid in the event that the Government does not agree a deal with Europe before leaving. The Government is trying to continue a similar set-up for health care abroad, but is suggesting that travel insurance cover is taken out which will cover the cost of emergency medical treatment.

Understand your cover

It's important to understand your travel insurance policy cover before you embark on a trip. You can find information in your policy documents so you can check that cover is suitable for you and you understand how and when to use it. Our policies will continue to provide cover for emergency medical expenses in the event of a no-deal Brexit. This includes emergency treatment in state hospitals in European countries which would have previously been covered by the EHIC. If your travel is disrupted, travel delay and trip abandonment cover will also apply as per the current terms and conditions.

Driving abroad

If you plan to hire a car abroad, you're able to get an international driving permit (IDP) as some countries may require this as British licenses may no longer be accepted. You can get one from a Post Office with ID, a British driving license and a signed passport photo. It will cost £5.50. You may also need a Green Card in the event of a no-deal Brexit. The Green Card will prove that you have the minimum cover required to drive your car abroad in Europe. You can obtain this from your insurer.

Related articles

Three young adults walk through an airport.

Make the most of a gap year

Gap years can be a good way to take a break from the norm. Here are some useful tips on what to consider when you've decided to travel for a year.
An elderly couple sit on a bench and look out over a lake.

Over 65s travel insurance

If you're over 65 and want to do more travelling, Direct Line puts together some of the answers to your questions.
Someone having fun on a zip-wire.

Advice on activity holidays

Ideas on how to plan and get the most out of an activity or adventure holiday, including how to stay insured during your trip.