Insuring the things you love
If you turn your house upside down, everything that moves should be covered by home contents insurance. This is different to buildings insurance which just covers the structure of your home.
Get a contents insurance quote with Direct Line, and we’ll provide £50,000 contents cover for your home as standard, as part of our home insurance policy
What you’ll get
- Cover on a new-for-old basis for household goods, including furniture, carpets, curtains, and your personal belongings in the home, garages and sheds
- Cash covered in your home up to £500, plus items in the garden up to £1,000
- Cover against fire, smoke damage, lightning, theft, flood and escape of water or oil up to £50,000
- Cover for freezer contents, replacement locks and keys following theft of keys, and up to £5,000 for possessions temporarily removed from the home to another e.g. while children are at college
- An automatic increase of 10% of the sums insured for 30 days either side of religious festivals and family weddings in case your belongings are damaged or stolen
- Our 24-hour Emergency Helpline
|Contents insurance cover levels
Our handy comparison table below will help you understand the available range of cover levels.
|Loss or damage to contents caused by fire, lightning, smoke, storm or flood||Up to £50,000||Up to £100,000||Unlimited|
|Office equipment in the home (i.e. computers, printers, fax machines, photocopiers)||Up to £5,000||Up to £10,000||Up to £15,000|
|Money in the home||Up to £500||Up to £1,000||Up to £2,500|
|Contents in the garden||Up to £1,000||Up to £2,500||Up to £2,500|
|Lock & Keys (replacements if keys lost or stolen)||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|If you would like our highest level of cover, SELECT Premier home insurance is suitable for customers with £100,000 of contents and above.||Get a quote||Get a quote||Get a quoteSELECT Premier quote|
Other cover options
Some people don’t realise how much their jewellery may actually be worth and so sorting out insurance may not be something they think about.
To insure against phones left in a taxi, cameras lost on holiday, jewellery lost at sea and wallets left at the supermarket
If your home or any outbuildings are damaged due to things like fire or flooding, having buildings insurance could save the day.