Terms & Conditions for Installer-fitted unit and Self-installed device
Thank you for agreeing to participate in Direct Line DrivePlus. As per your recent telephone conversation with Direct Line Insurance, these Terms and Conditions will apply to your participation.
You must ensure that anyone who uses your car has also read and accepted these Terms and Conditions as their data will also be collected and transmitted to us throughout our agreement.
Your telematics devices and mobile apps
It is very important that you read this section so that you understand how we and our technology and analytics suppliers will collect and use the data gathered by the telematics device.
If you no longer have your car which has a telematics device, you must ensure that you inform Direct Line immediately and before the new keeper takes possession, in order to stop future collection of data. If this does not happen, you must inform the new keeper of the vehicle that a telematics device has been installed and that telematics data will still be collected. Please go to section ‘What we expect from you’ to find out how to remove the device.
We cannot accept liability for damage to your car caused by your installation of a self-installed telematics device.
You should also read the “Your personal information” section in your policy booklet, which contains important information relating to the details that you provide to us. Your policy booklet and these Terms and conditions will apply to the data that we will collect from you, and explain how we will use it.
What we expect from you
- You must not tamper or interfere with the telematics device or we may cancel your policy.
- If you do not install and use the telematics device supplied to you then we reserve the right to remove any discount that we have applied.
- You must have a full and valid driving licence to be eligible for DrivePlus telematics.
By opting into DrivePlus you agree to receive useful feedback emails, which are designed to help you to improve your driving. They will also help you keep track of your score and earned Awards. In some cases we may also contact you via phone to give you more personal feedback on how you can improve your score. You can also view this information on the DrivePlus app and DrivePlus Portal via www.mydriveplus.com.
Wherever the following words or expressions appear in these Terms & Conditions, they have the meaning given here unless we say differently.
Analytics Supplier – a specialist company which collects and analyses data for us.
App – the mobile application you have downloaded from the Cash Back email (also referred to as DrivePlus app or app), which will track your driving via GPS, and where you can access your individual driving information, and which will display your driving score.
Awards – Milestones to mark your achievements as a safe driver
Data (Personal) – information we collect from you including personal details such as your name, date of birth, email address and your driving behaviour and the driving behaviour of anyone who drives your car. This will include the date, time, location, duration, speed, distance, start, finish and direction of travel, for each journey where the telematics device used in your car is switched on. We will collect, process and retain your data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and our policies on data retention.
Data (Vehicle) – information we collect from your car’s engine management and electronic systems and your cars’ location.
DrivePlus – the Direct Line telematics insurance scheme, underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.
Driving Score – (also referred to as Score) Is our assessment of your driving behaviour and is used to determine the amount of Cash Back you will receive.
GB – England, Scotland and Wales.
Onboard Diagnostics (OBD) port – a socket in your car, which is typically used by garages to identify faults with your car.
Portal – the website where you can access your individual driving information via www.myDrivePlus.com (also referred to as DrivePlus Portal).
Telematics Device (Plug-in) – the small box which is fitted into the OBD port of your car that collects and transmits data to us. It is also referred to as self-installed or Plug-in. The telematics device shall, at all times, remain our property. You only receive a telematics device if you have a compatible Smartphone.
Supplier(s) – Our Technology Supplier or Analytics Supplier.
Technology Supplier(s) – companies that work with U K Insurance Limited to provide and/or install telematics devices. Our technology suppliers collect and transmit data to us when telematics devices are switched on and may analyse that data on our behalf.
Term – 12 months from the commencement date of your motor insurance policy. We reserve the right to end DrivePlus at any point.
We, Us, Our – U K Insurance Limited.
You, Your – our customer or prospective customer.
Your car – the car in which the telematics device is used.
Your information and how we will use it.
What Data is captured by the device?
Once the telematics device has been activated, it will record and analyse data about the driving behaviour of you and anyone who drives your car. We and our suppliers will collect, process and store this information securely, ensuring that it is protected in line with industry best practice and our legal and regulatory requirements.
The telematics device will capture and send your specific location, direction and current speed amongst other factors to the suppliers’ server and we will use the information to understand road type, road speed and other conditions relating to your journey. This information will be used to build up a profile of how, where and when your car is driven. In addition to the above, the self-installed device will also collect vehicle diagnostics data.
How will we use the data collected from the telematics device?
We will use the data from the telematics device, for the purpose of assessing individuals’ driving behaviour and to provide insurance policies which are reflective of driving behaviour as well as other rating factors.
Your data may be used for the following purposes:
- To help us to understand safe driving behaviours, which we will use to develop underwriting of our motor insurance policies and to inform our development of similar products, services and systems;
- To help to determine or corroborate the circumstances of a claim, loss or theft;
- To help prevent and detect fraud;
- To tailor your premium at renewal
- To tailor your premium if you return to us having previously stopped your participation in scheme.
We will collect, process and retain your data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and our policies on data retention.
When you give us your information, it may be shared within U K Insurance Limited, and suppliers.
We will only share data outside of U K Insurance Limited, and suppliers:
- Where you have provided your agreement;
- If we are permitted or required by law to disclose the information, such as to our regulators or if we are issued with a court order.
We may transfer rights and obligations under this agreement. We may share anonymous data received from telematics devices with the general public and other third parties. If we choose to do this, we will not release any information which identifies you.
How will our suppliers use telematics data?
The information collected by the telematics device will also be used by our analytics suppliers for research and analytical purposes both during the active period of the telematics device, and after your use of the telematics device has ceased. Any information that our analytics supplier shares with third parties will be made anonymous and will not contain any of your personal information. This will prevent data or results being directly linked to you.
Our technology suppliers will use your personal data for the purpose of sending out the telematics device or installing the telematics device.
Unless you stop using the telematics device, our analytics supplier will continue to use any ongoing data collected for the purposes below and you will be able to access your driving data for as long the telematics device is active.
- Road and vehicle usage including for road safety issues, real time traffic flow, environmental impacts such as idle time at junctions, journey times, distances and speeds, and the analysis of junctions and the risk they represent;
- Driving behaviour analysis and profiling including determining what constitutes safe and dangerous driving and the typical behaviours of various segments of the UK population;
- Analysis of the causes of, and forces involved in, collisions and other road incidents; and,
- Researching and refining techniques for analysing motor vehicle telematics data.
In the event that the telematics device registers a possible accident, you may be contacted by our claims department by telephone to collect details.
Nothing contained in the above negates the requirement for you to report all accidents to us.
Access to your information
You will be able to access your data (your score and Cash Back amount) via the app you have downloaded from the DrivePlus Cash Back email or online on the DrivePlus Portal via www.mydriveplus.com. After you have registered on the Portal, you will be able to choose a username and password. By accepting these Terms and Conditions you accept that any individual who is provided with the password will be able to view the data collected by the telematics device.
Information on how to access and log on to the portal has been sent to you via email.
You have the right to see the information we hold about you through a Subject Access Request. If you would like a copy of your information, please write to:
The Data Protection Officer, Churchill Court, Westmoreland Road, Bromley BR1 1DP, quoting your policy reference. A fee may be payable.
You will continue as part of DrivePlus Cash Back unless you decide to cancel your motor policy, not to renew your insurance or choose to be removed from telematics. Please refer to the ‘Cancellation’ section for more details.
If we are unable to offer renewal terms for your Cash Back or DrivePlus we will contact you ahead of your renewal date. Your renewal invite will advise if your policy will be automatically renewed or if you need to call us. If we are unable to offer renewal terms we will write to you at your last known address to let you know.
Fraud Prevention & Detection
You must show this notice to anyone whose data has been supplied to us in connection with use of the telematics device.
To prevent and detect fraud we may at any time:
- Share the data and other information about you with other organisations and public bodies including the police although we only do so in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Check and/or file details with fraud prevention agencies and databases and if we are given false or inaccurate information and we identify fraud, we will record this with these agencies and on these databases. We and other organisations may also use and search these agencies and databases from the UK and other countries to:
- inform decisions about the provision and administration of insurance, credit and related services for you and members of your household;
- trace debtors or beneficiaries, recover debt, prevent fraud, and to manage your accounts or insurance policies;
- check your identity to prevent money laundering, unless you provide us with other satisfactory proof of identity
Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information. We may have to provide information and data concerning our policyholders if the police request this under section 29 of the Data Protection Act 1998. We will only do this where the police or other agencies have obtained a court order.
We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example when:
- Checking applications for, and managing credit and other facilities and recovering debt;
- Checking insurance proposals and claims;
- Checking details of job applicants and employees.
We, and other organisations that may access and use information recorded by fraud prevention agencies, may do so from other countries.
We can provide the names and addresses of the agencies we use. Please contact us at, U K Insurance Limited, Churchill Court, Westmoreland Road, Bromley, BR1 1DP quoting your reference.
How to make a complaint
Should there ever be an occasion when you feel that we have failed to honour our promise, we will do everything possible to ensure that your complaint is dealt with quickly and fairly. If you have a complaint, please email us on email@example.com.
If we can’t come to an agreement, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service who will be able to confirm if they can accept the complaint. You can download their complaint form and find more info at finacial-ombudsman.org.uk.
You can write to the Ombudsman, too. Their address is:
Financial Ombudsman Service
London, E14 9SR
- If you cancel the policy or remove the device or stop using the app at any point during the quarter no Cash Back will be paid;
- If you wish to cancel your participation in DrivePlus Cash Back, you will need to call us on 0345 303 5709
- If you have received a telematics device please return the telematics device using the pre-paid postage label provided. If you don’t have the label, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will issue a new one;
- We will stop collecting data from the telematics device within 14 working days of you notifying us. If you do not inform us, the telematics device will continue to collect data and send it to us;
- It is your responsibility to stop running the app in order that no data is collected; If you have a self-installed device you can un-plug the device from your cars OBD port in order to stop the data feed.
- If you sell your car but remain insured by Direct Line, to continue your participation in DrivePlus Cash Back, you must use the app in your new car.