Direct Line Insurance DrivePlus Telematics
Terms & Conditions for Smartphone App
Thank you for agreeing to participate in Direct Line DrivePlus. As per your recent telephone conversation with Direct Line, these Terms and Conditions will apply to your participation.
You must ensure that anyone who uses your car or your mobile has also read and accepted these Terms and Conditions as they will be bound by them as their data will also be collected and transmitted to us throughout our agreement.
Wherever the following words or expressions appear in these Terms & Conditions, they have the meaning given here unless we say differently.
App. - the Direct Line DrivePlus smartphone application.
Customer(s) - a policyholder and any named drivers who have taken out a policy with Direct Line and use the app. to receive a potential discount on their next renewal premium. Please refer to your 'Discount on Policy' section for more detail.
Data - information we collect from you in order for you to participate in DrivePlus including personal details such as your name, date of birth, email address and your driving behaviour and the driving behaviour of anyone who drives your car. This will include the date, time, location, duration, speed, distance, start, finish and direction of travel, for each journey where the app. is switched on and used in your car. We will collect, process and retain your data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and our policies on data Retention. Driving data relating specifically to you will not be retained by us for longer than three years.
Discount code - a series of numbers and letters for money off your first year's premium which can be applied once you have completed the minimum mileage. Please refer to 'Discount on Policy' section for more detail.
DrivePlus - the Direct Line telematics insurance scheme, underwritten by U K Insurance Ltd.
GB - England, Scotland, Wales and the Channel Islands
Prospective customer - an individual, who uses the app. to receive a potential discount on their insurance premium with Direct Line, but does not hold a current motor insurance policy with Direct Line. Please refer to 'Discount on Policy' section for more detail.
Supplier(s) - specialist telematics companies that collect and analyse data on our behalf.
We, Us, Our - U K Insurance Limited
You, Your - our customer or prospective customer.
Your car - the car in which the app. is used.
Your mobile - the communication device or devices onto which the app. is installed..
Use of the app.
It is very important that you read this section so that you understand how we and our suppliers will collect and use the data gathered by the app.
If you no longer have your mobile device in your possession, you must ensure the app. is deleted or access to the app. is removed, where applicable.
Posting content to the app.
By posting any content to the app. including photographs, you agree to grant to us a non- exclusive, worldwide, royalty free license to reproduce, host and publish that content on the app. You agree that any content that you post to the app. will not infringe any third party's intellectual property rights or other proprietary or privacy rights and will not violate any laws in the UK.
What Data is captured by the app.?
Once the app. has been activated, it will record and analyse data about the driving behaviour of you and anyone who drives your car. We and our suppliers will collect, process and store this information securely, ensuring that it is protected in line with industry best practice and our legal and regulatory requirements.
The app. will capture and send your specific location, direction and current speed amongst other factors to the supplier's server and we will use the information to understand road type, road speed and other conditions relating to your journey. This information will be used to build up a profile of how, where and when your car is driven.
How will we use the Data collected from the app.?
We will use the data from the app., for the purpose of assessing individuals driving behaviour and to provide insurance policies which reflect, and are assessed on, driving behaviour as well as other rating factors.
Your data will be used to rate your driving insurance premiums with Direct Line.
Your data may be used for the following purposes:
- To help us to understand safe driving behaviours, which we will use to develop underwriting of our motor insurance policies and to inform our development of similar products, services and systems;
- To help to determine or corroborate the circumstances of a claim, loss or theft;
- To help prevent and detect fraud;
- To tailor your premium at renewal.
When you give us your information,it may be shared within U K Insurance Limited, and suppliers.
We will only do this:
- Where you have provided your agreement;
- If we are permitted or required by law to disclose the information, such as to our regulators or if we are issued with a court order.
We may transfer rights and obligations under this agreement. We may share anonymous data received from the app. with the general public and other third parties. If we choose to do this, we will not release any information which identifies you.
How will our suppliers use telematics data?
The information collected by the app. will also be used by our suppliers for research and analytical purposes during the active period of the app. and after your use of the app. has ceased. Any information that our suppliers share with third parties will be anonymous and will not contain any of your personal information. This will prevent data or results being directly linked to you.
Unless you stop using the app., our supplier will continue to use any ongoing data collected, for the purposes below,
- Road and vehicle usage including for road safety issues, real time traffic flow, environmental impacts such as idle time at junctions, journey times, distances and speeds, and the analysis of junctions and the risk they represent;
- Driving behaviour analysis and profiling including determining what constitutes safe and dangerous driving and the typical behaviours of various segments of the UK population;
- Analysis of the causes of, and forces involved in, collisions and other road incidents; and,
- Researching and refining techniques for analysing motor vehicle telematics data.
In the event that the app. registers a likely impact, you will be contacted by our claims department by telephone to collate details of the accident.
Nothing contained in the above negates the requirement for you to report all accidents to us.
Discount on Policy
Prospective customers: When the app is switched on, if you complete the minimum mileage required for DrivePlus you may be eligible for a discount on your quoted premium. You will then receive a discount code on your app. This can be redeemed by one of the following methods:
- Click on 'email me the code' on the app. and a code will be sent to the email address you provided at registration.
- Via the Direct Line quote website www.directline.com.
- Via phone, if you call 0845 246 0124.
Customers: When the is app. switched on, if you complete minimum mileage then 8 -12 weeks before your policy renewal date you may be eligible for a discount on your next quoted renewal premium, which will be automatically deducted. You will receive a confirmation email after completion of the minimum mileage.
Customers and prospective customers: You will have only one opportunity to complete and record the minimum mileage. This means miles can't be erased and completed again in order to achieve a better score.
Discount code validity: Your discount code may be removed if you don't redeem it within 30 days of receipt. If you are an existing policy holder then you must tick that you are an 'existing customer' during app. registration. We will use your car registration, date of birth and postcode to find your policy and apply your discount. If we cannot find your policy we will email you.
Subsequent renewal: Should you qualify for a discount on your subsequent renewal premium, you will need to complete a minimum mileage 8 -12 weeks before your policy renewal date.
Other telematics discounts
Please note that you are only eligible for one telematics based discount per vehicle per policy year. If you are using more than one telematics device, the higher discount will apply.
Access to your information
If you sell your mobile, give it to someone or if you wish to prevent use of any data you must uninstall the app. by going to the app. settings on your mobile.
You have the right to see the information we hold about you. This is called Subject Access Request. If you would like a copy of your information, please write to:
The Data Protection Officer, Churchill Court, Westmoreland Road, BromleyBR1 1DP quoting your policy reference. A fee may be payable.
Fraud Prevention & Detection
You must show this notice to anyone whose data has been supplied to us in connection with the use of the app..
To prevent and detect fraud we may at any time:
- Share the data and other information about you with other organisations and public bodies including the police although we only do so in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Check and/or file details with fraud prevention agencies and databases and if we are given false or inaccurate information and we identify fraud, we will record this with these agencies and on these databases. We and other organisations may also use and search these agencies and databases from the UK and other countries to:
- inform decisions about the provision and administration of insurance, credit and related services for you and members of your household;
- trace debtors or beneficiaries, recover debt, prevent fraud, and to manage your accounts or insurance policies;
- check your identity to prevent money laundering, unless you provide us with other satisfactory proof of identity
Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information. We may have to provide information and data concerning our policyholders if the police request this under section 29 of the Data Protection Act 1998. We will only do this where the police or other agencies have obtained a court order.
We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example when:
- Checking applications for, and managing credit and other facilities and recovering debt;
- Checking insurance proposals and claims;
- Checking details of job applicants and employees.
We, and other organisations that may access and use information recorded by fraud prevention agencies, may do so from other countries.
We can provide the names and addresses of the agencies we use. Please contact us at, U K Insurance Limited, Churchill Court, Westmoreland Road, Bromley, BR1 1DP quoting your reference.
How to make a complaint
Should there ever be an occasion when you feel that we have failed to honour our promise, we will do everything possible to ensure that your complaint is dealt with quickly and fairly. If you have a complaint, please email us on email@example.com.
- You will still be able to carry on using the app. after you have cancelled your policy with Direct Line. However, if you do not wish us to continue to receive your data, please make sure you uninstall the app.
- If you sell your car but remain insured byDirect Line, you must use the app. in your new car if you wish to continue your participation in DrivePlus.
This app. is for use in GB only. Should you travel outside of GB you should disable the app. We will not be liable for any roaming charges incurred as a result of you using the app. abroad.
Data charges may apply, please contact your mobile service operator for more detail.
For a typical day's commute of 1 hour each way to work at 28mph, approximately 4.2MB of data will be used, which is the size of an average digital photo. Costs will vary by network, but will typically be covered by many contracts. You can prevent the app. from using your data allowance by setting the data transmission to WiFi only in the Help section.