Motor Legal Protection
This optional cover is available for an additional premium and can be added to your policy at any time.
If you have a road traffic accident involving your car where you’re not to blame, you have a right to claim from the person responsible for the accident.
Our motor legal protection cover will provide up to £100,000 of legal costs to help you to claim, where no other insurance policy will cover your losses, as long as there is a better than 50% chance that your claim will succeed.
Examples of what you may claim for include:
- Compensation for death or Injury
- Accident repair costs if you don’t have comprehensive cover
- Damage to your clothes, luggage or personal belongings if you don’t have comprehensive cover
- Hire car costs
- Loss of earnings
Who is covered by the policy?
This cover provides protection for you and any one else authorised to drive or use your car and for any passengers.
How does it work?
If we accept your claim, a solicitor will be appointed to act for you who will handle all aspects of your claim such as:
- Evaluating what you can claim for and the chance that your claim will succeed.
- Locating specialists such as a medical expert or counsel. The specialist charges will be met by this Motor Legal Protection policy.
- Negotiating with the person responsible and their insurers
- Commencing legal proceedings if necessary.
The appointed solicitor is regulated by the Law Society which, in addition to the high standards of service you would expect from Direct Line, ensures that you receive a professional legal service.
All in all providing you with peace of mind and a hassle free solution when you need it most.
Please see policy wording for full terms and conditions.